Versus AI mode is one of the gameplay modes in Heroes of the Storm, in which the player teams up either with other players, or with AI-controlled teammates, to play against AI-controlled opponents.
A difficulty dropdown is on the Versus A.I. screen, which can be used to switch among five different A.I. difficulty settings: Beginner, Recruit, Adept, Veteran, and Elite.
- A.I. teammates will mirror the difficulty selected for A.I. opponents.
- When playing in a party, only the party leader may change the A.I. difficulty setting.
Pick the Auto Select Hero, and then use the row of Role buttons added to the Hero Select screen to choose one or more preferred Hero Roles.
- Instead of choosing by role, players may also queue for Auto Select as the Heroes they’ve selected as favorites.
- In order to queue as Auto Select in a preferred role or with favorites, the selection must total at least 5 Heroes.
By default, Versus AI mode will fill the player's team with members of the player's party, and if any slots are left, with other players queuing for Versus AI games. By selecting the AI Teammates option, the player can choose for their team to be controlled by the AI instead.
- When attempting to find a Versus A.I. game with human allies, the matchmaker will work to find other players who have selected the same A.I. difficulty level.
- If it takes too long to find a suitable match, the matchmaker will expand its search to include difficulty levels above and below the player’s selection.
- If the human players on a team had selected a variety of A.I. difficulties, an A.I. opponent of each selected difficulty will be used for that game.
- For example: If two players selected Adept A.I. and three selected Veteran, the game will be filled with two adept and three veteran A.I. opponents.
- Versus AI mode also has an experience cap per day which is reset daily. (Need confirmation if its a 24 hour cooldown or if its a time of the day daily reset.)
Patch changes Edit
- (Patch April 24, 2018) Note: Fixed an issue that could cause A.I. Hanzo to repeatedly Channel and cancel Storm Bow.
- (Patch February 6, 2018) Note: A.I. Heroes will now attempt to flee the area surrounding D.Va’s Mech during Self-Destruct.
- (Patch November 14, 2017) Note: Made improvements to Battleground strategies used by Elite AI Heroes. Several additional Heroes have received tactical AI improvements.
- (Patch August 8, 2017) Note: Removed Mirror Matches: Players will no longer face duplicate enemy A.I. Heroes in this game mode.
- (Patch February 17, 2017) Note: Fixed a rare issue that could cause A.I. players to stop functioning correctly during a Versus AI Mode.
- (Patch November 15, 2016) Note: Players can now select their preferred roles when queuing as Auto-Select in Quick Match and Versus A.I. games.
- (Patch August 9, 2016) Note: Five-player parties who quit a Versus AI Mode game will no longer be forced to rejoin that game.
- (Patch July 12, 2016) Note: Rejoin is now optional for Training Mode, Single Player Versus AI, and Custom game. Simply hit the “Nope!” button when prompted to Rejoin.