Minions are the cannon fodder of both sides that fight alongside heroes. The endless waves of minions that fight for each side can vary in abilities from match to match. Some minion groups include standard melee and ranged attackers, while other groups include healers and other surprises.
In every minion wave there will be a ranged minion-wizard. When that minion is killed, it will drop a sort of regeneration globe that restores health and mana. The globes effectively keep the usual zoning and denying techniques while sticking with the game's fast-paced early aggression goals. The players will effectively be able to zone their opponents from their globe while also taking control of their own, giving the players much more lane sustain and lane pressure.
- An overconfident footman(src)
In Blizzard DotA, minions from the StarCraft game engine were present. These included the marine (including an infested version), the stalker, the thor, the zergling, and the zealot. It was recommended that heroes fight alongside them for maximum efficiency.
Visually, the minions of later builds were mass produced and "pieces of junk." Artistically, they had simple designs. "Mega-minions" would have also existed, but were still mass produced. Possible screenshots of these minions exist, showing them with banners mounted on their backs.
Statues bearing these minions' aesthetics were found within the map's background.
Patch changes Edit
- (Patch December 12, 2017) Note: Minion base damage has been increased by roughly 10%; The 5 second delay before Minions spawn after the game begins has been removed.
- (Patch November 14, 2017) Note: Melee Minions, Mercenaries, and Braxis Holdout’s melee Zerg units will no longer ignore an enemy Ragnaros in Molten Core form.
- (Patch August 8, 2017) Note: Catapults that are destroyed while their projectiles are mid-air will no longer deal half-damage.
- (Patch February 14, 2017) Note: Minion leash range decreased from 10 to 9.
- (Patch July 12, 2016) Note: Ranged, Melee, and Wizard Minions; Now deal an additional 50% damage to Structures.
- (Patch November 17, 2015) Note: Health and damage scaling for all Heroes, Battleground Events, Minions, and Mercenaries has been changed from flat, additive values to values that are multiplicative by percentage.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 2014-05-21, Blizzard set out to make a StarCraft mod, and instead reinvented gaming's most popular genre. Polygon, accessed on 2014-05-22
- ↑ 2011-10-23, BlizzCon 2011 - Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm and Blizzard DOTA - Art & Technology Panel (Full). YouTube, accessed on 2011-11-07