In Heroes of the Storm, all heroes gain experience. Baseline experience is gained as a team. As such, all heroes on one team possess the same level of experience, and gain levels simultaneously. On the scoreboard, one is able to see how much you have contributed to the teams experience.
- Killing minions. If a player is inside a "reasonable range" (about 1/2 of the screen) when a minion dies the team will be awarded the XP.
- Killing enemy players. The amount you get is determined by the difference in levels between the two teams. See further down for "Underdog Bonus"
- Killing neutral camps (not effective)
- Destroying buildings:
- Forts give 800 XP each.
- Towers give 400 XP each.
- It's worth mentioning that fountains, gates and walls don't reward any XP.
A team that is behind the opposing team gets an "underdog bonus" for every enemy hero that is killed. The amount of bonus XP earned per takedown will scale significantly based on how many levels apart the teams are, and caps off at a four-level difference. Bonus XP will be granted for each takedown until team levels become even. Additionally, a team that is ahead in levels now earns fewer experience points for takedowns, and the effects work inversely. Likewise, this handicap ceases when the teams are leveled.
Bonus trickle experience used to be in the game. It was granted to players that were 3 or more levels behind that of the opposing team.
- ↑ 2014-06-23, Heroes of the Storm Changes Coming – Underdog XP Bonus. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2015-02-09