In Heroes of the Storm, all heroes gain experience (aka exp or XP). Baseline experience is gained as a team. As such, all heroes on one team possess the same level of experience, and gain levels simultaneously. On the scoreboard, one is able to see how much you have contributed to the teams experience.
The amount of experience earned for each game is determined by the result (win/loss), length, and experience bonuses, if applicable. Players are also be able to gain experience by completing quests.
Gaining experience Edit
- Killing minions. If a player is inside a "reasonable range" (about 1/2 of the screen) when a minion dies the team will be awarded the XP.
- Killing enemy players. The amount you get is determined by the difference in levels between the two teams. See "Underdog Bonus" section below.
- Killing neutral camps (not effective, except on Hanamura)
- Destroying buildings:
- Forts give 800 XP each; Keeps give 1300 XP each.
- Towers at the outer layer give 400 XP each; towers at the inner layer give 650 XP each.
- Fountains, gates and walls don't reward any XP.
- XP Bonuses Stack Additively
- Playing in a party with one friend will award a total of 50% bonus XP, but playing with additional party members will award even more XP.
- Playing Team League in a full party with at least one friend and an active Stimpack will award a total of 225% bonus XP.
- The “Available XP Bonuses” icon in the top navigation bar activates when players are receiving any of the bonuses mentioned above.
- Hover the cursor over this icon to display a tooltip that offers a full breakdown of all active and inactive XP bonuses.
Daily Win BonusEdit
The first game that players win each day awards 50% bonus XP and Gold for that match.
- This bonus applies to all game modes except Brawl, Custom Games, and Training.
- A First Win of the Day icon is at the top navigation bar, which activates whenever a First Win of the Day bonus is available.
The XP bonus earned by playing in a party scales based on the number of party members:
- 2 Players: +25%
- 3 Players: +33%
- 4 Players: +42%
- 5 Players: +50%
Game Mode BonusEdit
Underdog Bonus Edit
A team that is behind the opposing team gets an "underdog bonus" for every enemy hero that is killed. The amount of bonus XP earned per takedown will scale significantly based on how many levels apart the teams are, and caps off at a four-level difference. Bonus XP will be granted for each takedown until team levels become even. Additionally, a team that is ahead in levels now earns fewer experience points for takedowns, and the effects work inversely. Likewise, this handicap ceases when the teams are leveled.
Bonus trickle experience used to be in the game. It was granted to players that were 3 or more levels behind that of the opposing team.
- ↑ 2014-06-23, Heroes of the Storm Changes Coming – Underdog XP Bonus. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2015-02-09